Many Texas victims injured in motor vehicle accidents believe that they can acquire the compensation they need without a lawyer. In some cases, this approach might work, but it can also fail, leaving victims with lingering injuries and expensive medical bills.
The insurance adjuster’s job is to settle the case as cheaply as possible, and in Texas, have no duty to deal in good faith with the injured person. That can result in unfair settlement practices, leaving victims without legal representation further harmed by relying on the adjuster, thinking they can trust them.
In general, people don’t fully understand how an injury lawyer can help victims. Lawyers do not simply show up in a courtroom requesting compensation. It takes much more to win an injury claim. Aside from making a commitment to assist those harmed in motor vehicle accidents, injury lawyers:
- Conduct a thorough investigation into the accident
- Identify all possible insurance coverages that cover the injuries.
- Determine fault and gather necessary evidence
- Explain the rights of accident victims
- Assess the full range of physical, financial and emotional damage victims have suffered
- Discuss with victims the different strategies for success
- Provide access to a range of professionals to support your case, including medical providers.
- Present your case to the court (if necessary) to help you pursue the greatest amount of compensation possible
Further, working with a personal injury attorney allows you to maintain your distance from insurance companies as well as the person who caused the accident. Your lawyer will speak on your behalf with your best interests in mind. In a settlement, insurance companies want to pay out at little as possible. An attorney understands the tactics insurance companies use to minimize your compensation, and how to negotiate with them to protect your financial interests. This empowers you to put your focus where it is needed the most: making a full recovery from your injuries.
We encourage motor vehicle accident victims in the Houston area to continue reading the material published on our website and in our blog. You may also reach out to our firm if you need to speak with a lawyer right away.