Guns do not injure people, people do. Gun owners have a duty to handle and maintain their guns responsibly and make sure that others are not able to access their guns, especially children.
A gunshot accident due to negligence occurs when the gun owner or shooter fails to exercise reasonable care and precaution when handling a gun due to lack of training, or him or her being impaired, or any other reason, thereby endangering the safety of others.
FACTS AND STATISTICS ON GUN-RELATED ACCIDENTS.
- 31% of all households in the country have firearms, and 22% of American adults own one or more firearms.
- Gun injuries are the second-leading cause of deaths among American children and teens and leading cause of death among high-school students.
- There are 393 million guns in circulation in the United States.
- 1 out of 3 homes with kids have guns.
- Domestic violence is more likely to turn deadly with a gun in the house.
- Most parents don’t think their children know where their guns are stored, but when researchers asked children directly, 40% of the children were able to correctly identify the location of a gun in their house.
- Accidental gun deaths account for 1% of total gun-related deaths.
- Around 77% of accidental gun deaths occur at home.
No one deserves to endure the physical and emotional trauma of a gunshot accident. If you or your loved one has been harmed in a gunshot accident, you need an experienced Houston gunshot accident lawyer by your side who will stand up to insurance companies and gun manufacturers and help you obtain adequate compensation.
COMMON CAUSES OF GUNSHOT ACCIDENTS IN HOUSTON.
Some major factors that contribute to gunshot accidents are:
NEGLIGENT HANDLING AND IMPROPER TRAINING.
It is necessary to treat every firearm as if it is loaded. Anyone handling a loaded weapon without getting adequate training for handling or discharging a firearm has a high chance of causing injury to oneself or to others. Proper training to handle guns and firearms ensures the safety of the shooter as well as those around him or her.
When gun owners allow incompetent, inexperienced, dangerous or reckless individuals to have access to their guns or firearms, there is every chance of an injury occurring due to a gunshot accident.
NEGLIGENT STORAGE OF A GUN.
Gunshot injuries can occur when guns are stored in a way that they are likely to be accessed easily and misused. When parents fail to store guns with utmost care, away from the reach of children who can accidentally discharge the guns causing injury to themselves or to those around them.
IMPROPER GUN RANGE MANAGEMENT.
A poorly managed and maintained range is more likely to experience gun related accidents. Gun ranges can be chaotic and crowded places where numerous people are shooting at once.
RECKLESS HANDLING OF A GUN.
Posing with a gun, aiming at people or objects and firing shots in the air can result in accidental injuries or even death. Utmost care should be taken while handling guns.
IMPAIRMENT DUE TO USE OF ALCOHOL OR DRUGS.
Use of alcohol and drugs are leading causes of accidental gunshot injuries. Anyone who is intoxicated by alcohol or impaired in any other way, should never have access to firearms.
An accidental discharge can occur while cleaning a gun, transporting a gun or even while carrying it. If a gun is defective, there is a chance of it being accidentally discharged.
SHOOTING AT HARD SURFACES.
Shooting at hard surfaces can cause a bullet or surface fragments to ricochet and injure the gun user or innocent bystanders.
DESIGN OR MANUFACTURING DEFECTS.
Sometimes a gun owner might use all the precautions while handling a firearm but a defect in the design or manufacture or construction of the firearm can cause injuries. Defective guns, gun accessories and safety equipment are to blame for a significant number of gunshot accident injuries every year. In such cases, the manufacturer of the defective product can be held liable for damages.
MEASURES TO PREVENT GUN-RELATED ACCIDENTS.
Most Americans keep guns in their homes. Some simple precautions can help lower the likelihood of gun-related accidents. Some of these precautions include:
- No gun should be ever handled carelessly or casually. A gun should always be treated as if it is loaded.
- Taking a training course to learn how to handle a gun can help the gun owner learn the safest ways to store, clean, and use the weapon. Training courses are easily available and accessible through out the country.
- Always use the proper ammunition. Using wrong calibre or size ammunition can lead to accidents while discharging the firearm.
- Keeping guns locked up safely. Keeping a gun out of the reach of children or people who are not trained to operate it can help prevent gunshot accidents.
- Background checks for all gun sales. Under Federal laws, some individuals with prior felony convictions, or having history of domestic abuse are prohibited from buying and possessing guns. However, due to loopholes in law, unlicensed sellers – such as private individuals who sell online, or at gun shows do not conduct background checks.
- Disarm all domestic abusers. Guns in the hands of domestic abusers pose a significant risk to women. From 2004 to 2015, 6313 women were murdered by an intimate partner using a gun.
- End legal immunity for gun manufacturers. Federal laws offer the gun industry extraordinary protections. In 2005, Congress passed the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Armed Act, which shields gun manufacturers and sellers from civil claims brought by victims of gun violence.
COMPENSATION FOR A VICTIM OF A GUNSHOT ACCIDENT IN TEXAS.
Those who survive a gunshot accident or shooting, are left with medical costs and emotional trauma that haunts them for years. Even years after being shot, a large proportion of gunshot accident victims continue to suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder. The effects persist even if the injuries from the shooting were minor.
Experienced gunshot accident lawyers will seek to get maximum compensation for the victims of gunshot accidents and help them explore other options and alternative ways to seek additional compensation for injuries sustained.
Our Texas Board Certified gunshot accident attorneys help victims recover:
- Medical Bills.
- Lost Wages.
- Damages suffered due to Pain and Suffering.
- Damages suffered due to Emotional Distress.
- Costs of future corrective surgeries.
- Compensation for short-term and long-term loss in productivity.
- Damages for loss of enjoyment of life and breakdown of personal relationships.
WHY YOU SHOULD HIRE US TO REPRESENT YOU?
Our qualified and experienced Attorneys possess extensive knowledge of Federal and State gun laws to assist a victim to secure maximum compensation through verdicts and settlements.
We understand complex and intricate legal concepts that are involved in personal injury and wrongful death cases arising from gunshot accidents. Our firm has access to quality ballistic experts, crime scene investigators and complex accident reconstruction specialists.
We investigate each case thoroughly to determine any negligence that may have contributed to the accident.
Our firm handles hunting accidents, firearm accidents, and other gun injury cases involving children, or accidents caused by defective firearms.
CONTACT A TEXAS BOARD CERTIFIED GUNSHOT ACCIDENT LAWYER.
If you or your loved one has been injured due to the careless or negligent use of a gun or a firearm, you deserve to be duly compensated for the injuries suffered and other damages. We represent victims in Texas who have had their lives tragically impacted by a gun accident.
Call an experienced Board Certified gunshot accident lawyer at our firm for a free and confidential case evaluation right away.