Advocating For Houston’s Injured Since 1996

9575 Katy Freeway, Suite 200Houston, TX 77024

Free Consultation


I Was Hit By a Distracted Driver in Houston, Now What?

Posted on in Accident Attorney

Houston Accident lawyer

As a society, we love our gadgets. Unfortunately, some people are too attached to their smartphones, tablets, GPS systems, and games too much to put them away while driving. Sources vary regarding the exact number of accidents caused by distracted driving in the U.S. However, most experts agree that the frequency of distracted driving crashes is increasing. According to one study, cell phone use while driving contributed to more than a quarter of all auto collisions.

Distractions often come in the form of electronic devices, but distracted driving can also be caused by eating and drinking, attending to children, and even daydreaming. If you or a loved one were hurt in a car crash caused by a distracted driver, read on to learn about your legal options.

Seeking Compensation Through an Insurance Company

Distracted driving car accidents can lead to expensive vehicle damage, severe injuries, and even death. Many accident victims are left with mountains of medical debt and other financial losses. Usually, the first place to seek compensation after a car crash is the at-fault driver’s car insurance company. However, many drivers do not have adequate coverage. Hit-and-run accident victims may also be unable to seek compensation through the at-fault driver’s car insurance company. In situations like these, the victim may need to seek compensation from their own insurer through their uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage.

Unfortunately, getting the compensation you need from an insurance company can be extremely frustrating. Insurance companies often offer low settlements soon after the accident in hopes that the victim will not realize the true extent of his or her financial losses. Insurance companies may also try to blame the accident on the victim or claim that the victim’s injuries were not caused by the crash. If you were hurt in a collision, consider working with a car accident injury lawyer who can communicate with the insurance company for you.

Filing a Personal Injury Lawsuit After a Distracted Driving Accident

Sometimes, no amount of negotiating with the insurance company will result in a payout that covers the victim’s damages. In this case, the next step is to file a personal injury lawsuit and seek compensation through the court. An attorney can gather evidence and witness statements to support the lawsuit and represent the victim during the proceedings. Often, personal injury lawsuits are settled before the case reaches trial.

Contact a Houston Distracted Driving Accident Lawyer

If you or a loved one were injured in an accident caused by a distracted driver, contact a Harris County personal injury attorney from the Law Office of Shane R. Kadlec for help. Our team knows the tactics insurance companies use to avoid paying car crash victims what they need and deserve. We can help you assert your rights. Call 281-643-2000 for a free consultation.



Back to Top