Advocating For Houston’s Injured Since 1996

9575 Katy Freeway, Suite 200Houston, TX 77024

Free Consultation


Houston Non-Subscriber Work Injury Attorney

Fort Bend County workplace injury attorney for employer negligence

Harris County Workplace Injury Lawyer for Cases Where Employers Do Not Have Workers' Compensation Insurance

There are multiple situations where workers may experience workplace injuries, and in many cases, workers' compensation benefits will not be available to address a person's medical expenses, as well as lost income due to a temporary or permanent disability. Employers in Texas are not required to carry workers' compensation insurance, and when an employer is uninsured, a worker may struggle to receive financial compensation for their injuries. In cases involving employers who are non-subscribers, injured employees will need to work with an attorney to determine their best options for recovering compensation for the damages they have suffered. The Law Office of Shane R. Kadlec is equipped to help those in this type of situation.

Options for Employees of Uninsured Employers

An employer who does not maintain workers' compensation insurance is known as a non-subscriber. If a non-subscriber was responsible for an employee's injury, the employee may take legal action to collect compensation from the employer through a personal injury lawsuit. Some employers may maintain other types of insurance policies, such as accident, health, or disability insurance. However, since these policies are different from workers' compensation insurance, an employer will be considered to be a non-subscriber, and employees may seek compensation from these employers. Unlike other personal injury cases, the amount a person can collect for a non-subscriber work injury will not be affected by contributory negligence, and even if a worker was partially at fault for an injury, the employer may be held liable for the full amount of the person's damages.

In most cases, an employee will pursue compensation for injuries that were caused by an employer's negligence. This negligence may include:

  • Failure to provide employees with the proper training.
  • Failure to use safety equipment or take appropriate measures to prevent accidents.
  • Failure to maintain equipment properly.
  • Failure to properly supervise workers and ensure that they are following the correct safety procedures.
  • Failure to address hazards in the workplace.
  • Failure to respond properly to safety issues reported by employees.

In addition to taking legal action against a negligent employer, an injured worker may also be able to pursue lawsuits against any third parties who were responsible for an accident or injury. The damages available in a personal injury lawsuit will often exceed the amounts of compensation that a person may receive through workers' compensation. While workers' comp will provide a person with a percentage of the income they have lost due to a disability, damages in a personal injury lawsuit may provide compensation for the full amount of lost income, as well as impairments to future earning capacity. A personal injury claim may also allow a victim to receive compensation that will address the physical and emotional pain and suffering they have experienced because of their injury.

The Law Office of Shane R. Kadlec represents victims of workplace accidents and injuries, and we work to ensure that injured employees can receive compensation that addresses all of the damages they have suffered. We work to make sure victims are compensated for medical expenses related to a work injury, loss of income, reduced earning capacity, and pain and suffering. Attorney Shane Kadlec has more than 25 years of experience in personal injury, medical malpractice, and workplace accident cases, and he works to help clients take legal action against negligent employers or other parties who have caused them harm.

Contact Our Houston Non-Subscriber Workplace Injury Lawyer

Following a work-related injury, our firm can help you determine whether you are eligible for workers' compensation or whether you can pursue compensation through a lawsuit against your employer or other parties. To schedule a free consultation and get legal help with your case, contact our office today at 281-643-2000. We assist with work injury cases in Memorial, Waller County, Brazoria County, Fort Bend County, Houston, Pearland, Liberty County, Galveston County, the Gulf Coast, Chambers County, Montgomery County, Katy, West Houston, The Woodlands, Bellaire, Harris County, and Sugar Land.

Back to Top