Advocating For Houston’s Injured Since 1996

9575 Katy Freeway, Suite 200Houston, TX 77024

Free Consultation


Houston Oil Rig Accident Attorney

Galveston oil rig injury attorney

Lawyer for Those Injured on Oil Rigs on the Texas Gulf Coast

If you've been injured on an offshore oil rig, you may have several options for pursuing compensation. Working on an oil rig can be dangerous, and sometimes accidents and injuries just go with the job. If you have been injured, however, you need an experienced attorney from the Law Office of Shane R. Kadlec to help you seek the compensation you deserve.

Many types of accidents are preventable if employers and supervisors take certain precautions to keep their workers safe. The following are some of the most common causes of oil rig and oilfield accidents.

  • Gas leaks and explosions
  • Slippery surfaces
  • Chemical burns
  • Falling pipes and other objects
  • Defective equipment
  • Oil rig blowouts
  • High pressure in wells
  • Inadequate training

What Is the Jones Act?

Workers on offshore oil rigs are considered maritime industry workers under the law, and thus any injuries that occur on these rigs fall under the Jones Act.

This federal law allows sea-based workers to sue their employers for personal injuries suffered on the job, as these employees are generally not eligible for workers' compensation benefits. The law states that all maritime employers must provide a reasonably safe work environment and take proper care to maintain vessels in a safe condition.

To seek damages through the Jones Act, injured workers must demonstrate that their employers acted negligently, and that this negligence resulted in the injury. Even if your employer's negligence was only partly responsible for an accident, you still may be able to collect compensation for your injuries. The statute of limitations on these claims is three years, so you only have a limited amount of time after you suffer an injury at work to file a claim.

Work With a Trusted Workplace Injury Law Firm in Houston

After an offshore oil rig accident leaves you unable to work, consult an experienced lawyer with the Law Office of Shane R. Kadlec in Houston. If you're losing wages because of an injury you've suffered due to the negligence of an employer or a third party, contact attorney Shane Kadlec to set up a consultation through this site or by calling his office at 281-643-2000. We represent injured workers in and around the greater Houston area, including in Katy, Sugar Land, The Woodlands, Pearland, Memorial, Harris County, Galveston County, and Fort Bend County.

Back to Top