Advocating For Houston’s Injured Since 1996

9575 Katy Freeway, Suite 200Houston, TX 77024

Free Consultation


Houston Wrongful Death Attorney

Memorial fatal accident attorney

Harris County Fatal Injury Lawyer Providing Legal Help to Family Members of a Deceased Loved One

The death of a loved one is never easy. However, these situations can be even more difficult in cases where a person was killed because of someone else's actions or negligence. As family members work to pick up the pieces, address their expenses and financial issues, and determine how they will be able to move forward with their lives, they will want to determine whether they can take legal action against a person or company who was responsible for their loved one's death. A personal injury lawyer who is experienced in these types of cases can help a family determine the best steps to take to address their losses and the ways they have been affected.

The Law Office of Shane R. Kadlec assists with multiple types of injury cases, including situations involving fatal accidents and injuries. Our founder, Attorney Shane Kadlec, has more than 25 years of experience in this area, and he has helped our clients receive millions of dollars in compensation. As you deal with the aftermath of a loved one's death, we can help you demonstrate that they were killed because of someone else's negligence, and we will work to make sure your family will be fully compensated for all of the damages you have suffered.

Wrongful Death Claims in Texas

Certain family members can take legal action to recover compensation for a loved one's wrongful death. The deceased person's spouse, children, or parents may file a wrongful death claim, and these claims must be filed within two years after the date of the person's death. A wrongful death claim or lawsuit will seek to recover compensation for damages suffered by the deceased person's family members. These damages may include:

  • Loss of income - The income earned by a deceased person may have been crucial for ensuring that a family was able to pay ongoing expenses. Family members may be compensated for the income that a person would have been expected to earn during the rest of their natural lifetime, as well as other benefits they may have provided to their family, such as health insurance coverage.
  • Loss of inheritance - If a person had not died, they may have been able to save money or increase the value of their assets and leave inheritances to family members. If a person's death affected family members' ability to receive an inheritance, they may be compensated for these losses.
  • Loss of services and support - If the deceased person had not been killed, they may have been able to provide multiple services to their family members, such as managing household duties and offering instruction and guidance to children. Family members may be compensated for their inability to receive these forms of support from their loved one.
  • Loss of companionship - Family members will suffer from the inability to have a loving relationship with their deceased loved one, and they may seek compensation to address this loss of love and comfort.
  • Mental anguish - When dealing with a person's untimely death, family members may experience grief, sorrow, and other forms of emotional trauma, and they may be financially compensated for the ways these issues have affected their ongoing well-being.
  • Survival damages - A deceased person's estate can pursue compensation for damages that would have been available in a personal injury lawsuit had the person not died. These damages may include the costs of medical treatment the person received and the pain and suffering they experienced while they were still alive.
  • Punitive damages - If the person responsible for someone's death acted with gross negligence or intentionally meant to cause harm, additional damages may be awarded as a form of punishment. These damages may be available in cases where a person was killed by a drunk driver or other situations involving a blatant disregard for safety.

Contact Our Houston Wrongful Death Lawyer

If your family member has been killed because of someone else's negligence or intentional actions, we can help you take legal action to address your losses. Contact us and arrange a free consultation by calling 281-643-2000. We assist with wrongful death and other personal injury cases in Fort Bend County, Galveston County, Katy, Sugar Land, Bellaire, Montgomery County, Liberty County, Memorial, Brazoria County, Houston, the Gulf Coast, West Houston, Harris County, The Woodlands, Chambers County, Pearland, and Waller County.

Back to Top